Metadata Intelligence using Collibra
– Impact Analysis
Why would I need this Solution / What problem are we looking to solve?
Since Collibra has a catalog of all the physical data stores and reporting platforms, the data architects would like to generate a list of all impacted objects for a column that needs to be modified. However, currently the only way to do this is in Collibra Data Governance Center(DGC) is to create a lineage (traceability) view diagram that captures all downstream objects and save a copy of the image for the required column. This image will then need to be shared among the team that needs to do the analysis. The challenge with this solution is that the image is static and not very readable especially when there are a lot of related objects that are part of nested hierarchies.
Lucid’s Impact Analysis utility supports offline analysis by enabling the user to the download all related assets to a well-organized Excel workbook, with a summary view, an index and one worksheet per related asset type, with all objects hyperlinked to the respective Collibra assets, to enable navigation to the corresponding asset.
- For a selected asset, generates a searchable excel extract of impacted assets
- The generated extract is saved as an attachment on the selected asset, for current and future analysis
- The excel also has a summary view of impacted assets for use by a business user
- The Impact Analysis Workflow can use any traceability view JSON configured as an input to the workflow
- The characteristics of the impacted asset to be listed in the excel can be configured using a Scope assignment for the corresponding assets
- The utility is also intelligent and uses the scope associated with the community to which an object belongs to dynamically determine and extract all the characteristics for each of the related object.
- Since the extract is in Excel, the user can also do additional analysis using familiar paradigms such as sort and filter; use of lookups, pivot tables, etc., while adding comments and notes and sharing for easy collaboration. The Excel can also be archived and used as supporting documentation for audit or test purposes